Monday, March 22, 2010

Work quiz

The other day at work I did another little experiment. We all had to take some stupid test on the computer about proper lifting procedures and crap. But on one of the screens there was a picture of the human spine, including the tailbone. So I asked My manager if she knew why we have a tailbone, and she didn't have a clue. I told her it's what's leftover from the days when we had a tail. She gave Me the strangest look. Then I asked her if she believed in evolution or that we came from Adam and Eve, and she said she had no idea.

So this kicked off My project for the night. To ask everyone about this picture on the computer screen, and get their answers on why we have a tailbone, if we evolved from apes or if they think we came from the biblical story.

The correct answer is the tailbone is what's left from the days when we had an actual tail. Our tailbone serves NO practical purpose at all, in fact it's kind of a pain in the ass (pun intended). It's just a useless vestigial organ that our DNA has basically turn off the switch for 'making a tail'. And YES .. there is a mountain of evidence supporting this claim!! Let's just say that around 97% of all the scientist in the world agree!

So as the night progressed I ended up asking everyone the same questions, and was amazed at the results.

- 1 person out of 8 got the answer right. Her answer was "Because we used to have a tail???" Her tone was very uncertain and she gave the answer in sort of a questioning form. But I gave her credit for it so at least one person got it right.

- Do you believe in evolution. Again, 1 out of 8 people said they did. 4 said they didn't have a clue, and the other 3 said we came from Adam and Eve.

And one person actually threatened Me!! She was highly pissed that I dare say that she came from a monkey!!!! Her exact words were, "Don't you dare say that I came from some fucking monkey! I ain't no fucking monkey!! And I didn't come from no fucking caveman either! I came from Adam and Eve, and people can fuck off if you they think otherwise!!!!" WOW ..... such nice christian language I thought. Needless to say I had to back-pedal a bit and assure Her that she was right and that most Americans think the same way so she was in good company!

But in reality, this whole test was a little scary for Me. I've seen the statistics on the internet, but it's much more frightening to see it in real life. To know that most Americans don't have a clue about evolution but I bet they can tell you who's sleeping with Brad Pitt! I mean a few of these people are in college!!! I would have hoped that at least college would be teaching the scientific facts! It was either the fact that they had NO idea about it, or the violence that came with it that really made Me see how people can be stuck in a rut about bigger ideas in life. Our lack of knowledge is really scary, and YES .. this was Me a few years ago too, I'm no better!

The next thing I'd like to do is ask everyone about the "Noah's Ark" story, and if they believe it's true or not. This should prove to be incredibly difficult since most of the people at work are onto Me and know that I'm not asking this stuff out of just everyday conversation. Might I say that My 'study group' has reach it's breaking point. Might be time to get a new job!!

So from My little miniature study on people, it's sad to say that the next generation is probably not going to be any better than what we have today. And the decline of America seems to be inevitable. So I guess the rest of the world will continue to kick our ass when it come to forging ahead with science and knowledge, meanwhile our country will believe that we all came from MAGIC, and in a few years Sarah Palin will lead us all to Armageddon.

Yeah ...... the future looks bleak.

No comments: